Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Need Latex in school?

I have been using MS word for the past few years at work. I like Word, but dont like its equations editor. In school, earleir, I shied away from LaTEX (which was a hit among my friends in Math, sciences, electrical engineering, and others), and stuck to another program called Framemaker (acquired by Adobe later..).

I love the LaTEX produced documents though, especially the clarity of the mathematical formulae (I know this is going to be a very geeky post, I can almost feel it).

I just starting playing with LaTEX for windows - MikTEX along with a editor Winedt (install in that order) and got started on some rudimentary LaTEX. The question is - do I need it for my MFE course? Probably not, but then it may help in those SDE homeworks.. :)-

Here are some tutorials to get started:
Basic tutorial
List of Links

4 Comments:

Blogger londoner said...

Check out Scientific Word/Workplace from here...

http://www.mackichan.com/

Demo's free and license is worth the money if you plan to use latex later in life...(is there life after MFE?)

Doesn't Cal have SW on their pc's already?

1:37 PM, January 05, 2006  
Blogger Quantjock said...

thats great info.. Londoner!!
Thansk I will check it out. Btw, what your background?

Cal has SW on their PCs, but I guess I need some stuff for my laptop as well.

1:58 PM, January 05, 2006  
Blogger londoner said...

Nice blog! I'm thinking of starting one from the same perspective on this side of the pond.

Me? I'm doing an MSc in QF at Cass Business School here in London. Did my undergrad at Cal (in physics though) Great school!

180 smackers seems like a lot for a word processor but it'll save a lot of time in the long haul especially for course work/dissertations etc.

4:20 PM, January 05, 2006  
Blogger Quantjock said...

Great idea.. would be great to see others blogging on their MFE/MSc experience, esp vis-a-vis London (the City apparently hires more Qunats than NYC.. is that true??)

5:29 PM, January 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home