Saturday, November 18, 2006

MFE Career Series

In the next coming months, I intend to lay out some job functions/roles/departments that most MFEs get hired for. In my experience, most MFEs are career changers, and as soon as they get to school, they get so busy with the stochastic calc and econometrics stuff, that they sometimes dont have time to research all the job functions.

In this series, I would try to pool some collective knowledge that I have gathered from both from my end as well as talking to alums and my classmates. I think this would be useful to me as I decide for my own full time position, as well as to those contemplating (or entering) MFE programs. Disclaimer: this is just my own set of perceptions..please take it with some amount of uncertainity.

The topics briefly would be:
  1. Quant positions (on the floor) (Quant, Quant Trader)
  2. Research/Strategy (Strategist, modeler, Research)
  3. Risk Management
  4. Buy side (portfolio mgmt, buyside research)
  5. Trading Positions (Trader, Trading Assistant, Junior Trader, etc)
  6. Structuring
  7. Sales (??)

Will try to post on this series when I get back to school!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Flo said...

Hi Swaroop,
Just wanted to thank you for sharing your experience and insights on this blog.
It turns out to be a reading as instructive as relaxing.
Quantfi is starting to share with me its secrets... for a career change and why not an MFE?
So definitely interested in this new series you mention!
Keep up the good posts!

9:35 PM, November 20, 2006  
Blogger SunnyQuant said...

I am checking your blog everyday to see if you have posted any details. This would be really helpful to a lot of us who are seeking details on the possible career paths after a MFE.

Post asap pls.

8:48 AM, December 05, 2006  
Blogger Quantjock said...

thanks...u may have to wait though. I was planning to write this after I get back to school!!

8:26 PM, December 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home